Sometimes customers purchase equipment that is too large to ship RoRo, too tall or too wide to transport on the road, inoperable or the customer just prefers to ship it that way.

In this situation we can containerize your unit. That means that the unit will be taken to one of our many knockdown yards for dismantling and securely loading the pieces into containers for shipping.

We have knockdown facilities located in Los Angeles CA, Houston TX, Jesup GA, Baltimore MD and Abbottsford BC Canada.

The amount of containers needed to ship your unit depends on the unit’s size.

For example, a Caterpillar 140G motor-grader will require one 40ft High Cube container. This is a very simple load. The tires, blade and sometimes cab are the only pieces that are removed. The cab is much a shell and they do not have to disconnect any linkages.

In comparison, a Caterpillar D8H will require 2 containers, one 40ft HC and one standard 20ft container.

40’ – Boom, Track, Cab, Frame, Main Body & Stick

20’ – Counterweight, Track, Bucket, 2 Tanks, 2 Sprockets, Radiator & Engine Cover

Most crawler tractors are shipped this way because of the size the blade. The blade widths on larger crawlers often exceed the width allowed on roads for transportation, so they must be removed for trucking and permitting purposes. Please refer to Static/Break-bulk blog post if the blade must be removed, but containerization is not an option.

Containerization costs are made of trucking to one of our facilities (optional), containerization (dismantling, loading & securing and drayage), ocean freight per container and export documentation.

If you decide to containerize your heavy equipment please be sure that you are able to put it back together at the destination port.

Leave a Reply

Important info to Ship a Car Overseas:
  • No car can leave USA if it has a lien on it. What does this mean? Your car must be paid in full. The only people who can ship a car overseas and still carry a lien on the car are US Military and Government employees/contractors. For those people a letter of authorization from the lender will need to be issued to pass US Customs. Otherwise the car may be considered stolen.
  • A clear Title of Ownership with no Liens on the Title.
  • If you bought a car new, then your name must be listed on the front of the Title as the registered owner.
  • If the vehicle has been sold, then both the Seller and Buyer have to sign the back of the Title in the spaces as detailed on the back of the Title.
  • For safety reasons, the vehicle cannot have more than a ¼ tank of gas.
Import Duty for Destination Country:
  • Import duty is NOT collected by Ship Overseas. It must be paid at the arrival port by whoever is picking up the car. We wrote a blog post about vehicle import duty here. It talks about how to find out import duty for your country.
Travel & Living Abroad:
  • Most countries will allow a traveler to temporarily import their car for up to 6 months. After the 6 months is up, import duty will be charged. For many travelers going to Europe and taking their car, a deposit is paid up front. When the car goes back to it's destination country, the deposit is refunded. If a person has lived in USA for 1 or more years, most countries will allow that person to bring their car back duty free! The car must not have any liens on it. Please check with your Customs Department first.
Share via
Contact Us on Whatsapp
Have a Question? Ask via Whatsapp
Send this to a friend