Call 1-858-547-0840 For Phone Quote
How to Ship a Car to Latin America
If you have been pondering shipping a car to anywhere in Latin America from the USA, you may be feeling some fear and frustration over the process. We completely get it: shipping a car is a big deal. You may not have a clue as to where to start. Fortunately, we are here to guide you in the right direction.
Rest assured, having Ship Overseas behind you will ensure you never miss a step. We will walk you through the process of shipping a car to Latin America, step by step. The end result will be a smooth, seamless experience that will have you saying: what was I so worried about?
Does it help to know we have been shipping cars to and from Latin America for more than 35 years? That’s why you can book our services with confidence, calling us with any questions you may have. We have compiled this page chock full of information on everything you need to know about shipping cars from the USA to Latin America.
Begin with a free quote. We only need the Year/Make/Model of your car, Pickup Zip Code or Departure Port, and Destination Country in Latin America. From Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic to Honduras and Panama, we’ve got you totally covered.
How Much Does it Cost to Ship a Car to Latin America?
In general, it can cost between about $900 and $4,000 or more to ship a car to Latin America from the USA. But nothing is set in stone until we have all your details. Your final price will vary greatly on factors, such as:
• Where in the USA you’re shipping the car from. You’ll spend less shipping from the East Coast than from the West Coast.
• The size of the vehicle. You’ll spend more to ship a large SUV or pickup truck vs. a compact car.
• If you bring your car to the port or you have us pick it up. You’ll spend more if we have to pick it up from your residence and bring it to the port, but you’ll get added convenience. You’ll spend less if you just bring your car to the port directly. Just don’t neglect to make your own travel arrangements to get back home from the port.
Meet the Spanish Speaking Team
We ship cars from the USA to the Latin American countries listed below:
Argentina We ship to Zarate in Argentina.
Costa Rica We ship to Puerto Limon, and San Jose in Costa Rica. As a tourist, you are afforded the right to drive the vehicle for three months without paying taxes. The time begins when you enter the country, not when the vehicle enters the country. For example, if you enter Costa Rica on the 1st of October, but your vehicle enters on the 1st of November, you will only have two months to drive the vehicle, not three. This is very important to keep in mind. You will be required to pay a local tax, and some additional fees, all of which add up to around $90.00 US (normally this is all part of the customs procedure). At the end of three months, you have the right to extend the right to drive the vehicle for an additional three months. Read more ›
For other countries not listed, please Click Here to Request a Free Quote online, or contact our offices.
We offer weekly sailings from ports in the USA to Latin America
Our shipping vessels depart on a weekly basis from U.S. seaports to Latin America. We offer several vehicle shipping methods and additional services, to meet all your auto shipping needs to Latin America:
- Visit the page of the Latin American country you’re shipping to, for information on vehicle age restrictions to import a car into that country.
- If you bought a car new, then your name must be listed on the front of the Title as the registered owner.
- If the vehicle has been sold, then both the Seller and Buyer have to sign the back of the Title in the spaces as detailed on the back of the Title.
- For safety reasons, the vehicle cannot have more than a ¼ tank of gas.
Vehicle Import Duty For Latin America
Please visit the country’s page to read more about its Import Duty rules.
Offering weekly sailings from ports in the USA to Latin America
Our shipping vessels depart on a weekly basis from U.S. seaports to anywhere in Latin America. For specific ports, please click on your desired country. But here’s a brief breakdown of where we sail to:
• Zarate in Argentina
• Puerto Limon, and San Jose in Costa Rica
• Rio Haina, Santa Domingo in the Dominican Republic
• St. Tomas De Castilla in Guatemala
• Puerto Cortes in Honduras
• Manzanillo in Panama
• San Juan in Puerto Rico
RoRo Shipping (Roll-On/Roll-Off)
First, we have our most popular option, Roll-On/Roll-Off. This is affordable and convenient, best for wheeled vehicles such as motorcycles and cars. All vehicles are driven onto the ship of their own power, so your car must be able to make it up and down the ramp without assistance. Once loaded onto the vessel, each vehicle is tied down securely in its own spot.
We ship all sorts of vehicles this way, from motorhomes and campers to trailers and buses. We even ship construction vehicles and boats.
If you are shipping a single vehicle to Latin America, this is a good choice. Not only is it very efficient and cost-effective, but you also get more reliable departure and arrival dates than you would with container shipping(more on that later).
This is the option many new car manufacturers reserve for shipping their own vehicles. With RoRo shipping, all vehicles are tied to the deck with no exposure to the ocean, giving your vehicle solid protection against external elements.