If you need to ship a car to Sweden, you probably have a lot of questions about the process. No worries. We are here to go over:
Shipping Car from USA to Sweden
Choosing Ship Overseas, Inc. as your partner in car shipping to Sweden is a wise choice, as we have been doing this for more than 40 years. We understand that the process may seem a bit confusing, especially if this is your first time, but with us behind you, it’s easier than it looks. All your questions will be answered in this guide about the shipping process to Sweden, including Pricing, Documents, Departure, and Arrival Ports.
For the most accurate price quote and to help you budget, we will ask for the Year/Make/Model of your car, Pickup Zip Code or Departure Port, and Destination Country (in this case Sweden).
Most people ask us to pick up their car from their home for an extra fee rather than hassle with bringing their own car to the port. Sometimes the nearest port is far away and you have to factor in the cost of gas, lodging, meals and time off work. It’s more cost effective to pay us a couple hundred dollars to fetch your car from your residence and bring it to the port.
Departure Shipping Ports
The USA departure shipping ports for Sweden include:
- Newark, NJ
- Baltimore, MD
- Newport News, VA
- Charleston, SC
- Brunswick, GA
- Galveston, TX
- Long Beach, CA
You can take your car to one of these ports or we can pick up your car and transport it for you, at an additional cost.
Arrival At Shipping Terminal in Sweden
The sole arrival port in Sweden that we service is Gothenburg, the largest port in the Nordic countries. It receives more than 11,000 ship visits per year from more than 140 destinations around the world. This is where you will have your designated person pick up your car on arrival.
How Much Does It Cost to Ship a Car to Sweden
It’s natural to then ask: how much will it cost to ship my car to Sweden? Keep reading!
Starting costs to ship a car to Sweden are $1050 from Baltimore, MD to Gothenburg, Sweden
Starting costs to ship from Newark, NJ to Gothenburg is $1190.
These costs are only for port-to-port shipping. If you want us to pick up your car for you and take it to the port, that will be an additional cost. If you want to save your money and take your car yourself, consider the cost of gas, hotel, airfare, etc.
Departure & Arrival Ports, Starting Costs, & How Long Shipping Takes
The starting cost to ship a car from the USA to Sweden is outlined below:
- $1660 from Long Beach, CA and Tacoma, WA
- $1190 from Newark, NJ
- $1050 from Baltimore, MD
- $1190 from Newport News, VA
- $1220 from Charleston, SC
- $1220 shared container Newark, NJ
The Estimated Time in Transit kicks in when your car arrives at the shipping terminal and does not include the transit time when the trucker picks up the car at your home.
It takes approximately five weeks with the RoRo method from the East Coast, and six to seven weeks with the RoRo method from the West Coast.
There are other things that will factor into your final cost, such as the departure port you choose, the car’s year/make/model, and if you drop off the car at the port yourself vs. having us do it.
Shipping a car to Sweden also involves these considerations:
- It costs less to ship a car from the East Coast USA than the West Coast.
- On the surface, it costs less to bring your car to the port than for us to come to get it from your residence. Don’t forget that you will have to arrange for your own transportation back and all the lodging, food, etc. costs that go along with it. In the end, this option may cost more.
- It costs less to transport a compact car than it does to ship a large SUV.
The name of the broker we will assign for you will be listed on the Doc Receipt
Vehicle Import Tax & Duty & Destination Handling Charge
To ship a car from the USA to Sweden, be prepared to pay 20% Import Tax and 9% VAT (Value Added Tax). We will provide you with the Clearing Agent’s information, so please contact us. There is a destination handling charge of approximately $300 for RoRo and $500 for a shared container.
If you are in the USA, contact the Embassy of Sweden by phone if you need the latest information.
Embassy of Sweden
2900 K St NW
Washington, DC 20007
Ship Overseas doesn’t collect the import duty. You pay it at the time of vehicle pickup.
As authorized shippers for the US military to Sweden, we work frequently with members of the military and government to get their cars to their new base. The military usually will cover the cost of your shipment but if you want to ship a second car (such as your spouse’s) you have to pay for that shipment.
POV Transfer Requirements for Military
- The vehicle MUST:
- Be owned or leased by a member of the military or a dependent.
- Be self-propelled and legal on public highways.
- Have four wheels or more, with mopeds and motorcycles being the exception.
- Have written consent for transport from the third party if leased.
Travelers (Temporary Imports)
Anyone traveling to the EU can bring their car for up to six months, known as a temporary import. A deposit for the temporary import will be due on arrival of the car but this fee will be refunded when you leave.
Are you an EU citizen who has lived outside the EU for 6 months? You are allowed to bring your car back without having to pay import fees.
New/Used Car Purchase
You will pay 20% Import Tax; 9% VAT (Value Added Tax) on cars owned for less than 1 year and if the final destination is an EU member country. There are no limits on the age of vehicles and salvage titles are accepted.
Classic Car Purchase
Duty for importing classic cars is 7%. On all other cars, it is 20%.
In the event you fail to arrange for timely pickup upon the vehicle’s arrival at the Port of Gothenburg, they will charge you a storage fee. We can let you know what those latest fees are when you contact us.
Optional Marine Insurance
This is optional but we highly recommend it. Accidents happen on the open sea that are beyond our control, particularly during hurricane season (June 1 through November 30). However, please note that damage and loss are very rare. You can choose to get our full coverage Marine Insurance against Loss or Damage, which lasts from the time your car is loaded onto the ship until you take possession of it. The cost is 1.75% of the value you want to insure the car for. This option is recommended if you wouldn’t be able to afford out of pocket cash for repairs or losses. Here’s where you can learn more about Marine Insurance here.
Shipping Car to Sweden Military, Government Contractors
Members of the US Military and Government employees (or contractors) are allowed to ship a car overseas and still carry a lien on the car. However, they need authorization from the lender, which is required to pass US Customs. The car could be considered stolen if this step is skipped.
US Military and Dependants
At the Port of Gothenburg, you will be expected to pay a destination offloading fee of $300 for sedans and SUVs. (Prices can change, ask us for the latest.) To obtain a release of your vehicle, visit the Officer at your Base in charge of Transport. This officer will give you a document to complete for Military Tags, which will allow you to drive to your base. You will have to show proper ID.
Want us to arrange the forwarding of your vehicle right to the base? Just contact us and request delivery service for an extra fee.
Government contractors can be expected to follow a similar procedure as US military active-duty personnel.
Documents Required to Ship Car to Sweden
The two main documents you will need to ship a car to Sweden are: the Original Title and Valid Identification.
If you are in the military, government or state service, and have a lien on the vehicle, you must get permission from the Lien Holder to export the vehicle, as part of the Original Letter from the Lienholder. Also required will be:
- Military orders or a letter from the Government or State authority.
- Three certified copies of the Certificate of Title
- A copy of the Title Record History obtainable from the Department of Motor Vehicles in the State where the vehicle is registered.
You will be required to show the original Certificate of Title of Ownership of the vehicle with no Lien on the Title.
The following are required:
- Power of Attorney Form for international residents.
- Copy of Passport
Vehicle Registration in Sweden
You should get an International Driver’s License from the AAA Automobile Association in your area. Your American Driver’s License will suffice in Europe. If you are a tourist or temporary resident, you are able to drive with your American license plates in a foreign country until your registration for that year expires.
Documents required include:
- Original Certificate of Title of Ownership of the vehicle without a Lien recorded on the Title.
- If the vehicle is used or pre-owned the existing Certificate of Title can be endorsed by the seller to the new owner. No Sales Tax is payable to the Seller and proof of export will be given to the Seller if requested.
- When a new vehicle is purchased, an Original Certificate of Origin must be obtained from the Dealership that sold you the vehicle. We need this to get Custom Clearance.
Vehicle Registration For Military & Government Contractors
Once at your military base, this will be settled when you connect with your Officer in Charge. They are the ones to supply you with military tags for your base.
Vehicle Registration For EU Citizens
Now that your car has passed Swedish Customs, it is assumed it has met all safety and Customs standards. Now it is time to take your car to the local DMV and bring with you the following:
- Swedish Customs Clearance information
- Original license plates
- Proof of residency
- Bill of Sale
Note: Ship Overseas Inc. offers no further guidance from this stage on.
RoRo (Roll On Roll Off)
RoRo shipping is available from these ports: Newark, NJ; Baltimore, MD; Long Beach; CA; and Tacoma, WA.
With RoRo shipping, your car has to be able to make it up and down the ramp with no assistance. This type of ship resembles a big parking garage and is designed to hold anything with tires that can Roll On and Off the ship. Perfect for cars and motorcycles, as well as motorhomes, boats, campers, trailers, buses, and even construction vehicles, most people use RoRo when shipping one vehicle.
Your vehicle will be secured in its designated spot once loaded on the vessel.
This is a highly efficient and cost-effective method that runs on a reliable departure and arrival schedule — just like an airline flight schedule.
RoRo shipping gives you assurance that your car will be protected from external elements. It’s also the preferred shipping method for new car manufacturers who wish to ship their products safely. All vehicles will be tied to the deck with no exposure to the ocean air or water.
Container shipping is only available from Newark, NJ. Your car will share a container with other vehicles. It’s not as quick or reliable in terms of departure and arrival dates as RoRo shipping because the containers don’t ship until they are full.
You can ship additional items in the trunk or the backseat of your vehicle. Many people use this method to ship vehicles that do not work, such as broken down classic cars.
Payment Methods / Options
Pay for the shipment only when your vehicle arrives at the departure shipping port.
Wire Transfer or Cashier’s Check
This is the most common payment method for customers not located in the USA. We will send you our bank information at the time you place your order.
Credit Card & Zelle
There are no service fees when using Zelle, but with credit card payments, a 3% service fee is charged.
Canceling Your Order
Need to cancel your order after you have placed it? Let us know ASAP via email. We will refund your payment in the same payment method you chose, minus a $300 cancellation fee.
- If you bought the car new, your name must be listed as the registered owner on the front of the Title.
- The destination handling charge is approximately $300 for RoRo and $500 for container shipping.
- Please provide a Title of Ownership with no Liens on the Title.Your vehicle should contain no more than ¼ tank of gas (safety and weight reasons).
- If you own the car less than 1 year and the final destination is an EU member country, you pay 20% Import Tax; 9% VAT (Value Added Tax).
- If in transit through an EU country, leave a deposit of 30% of the value of the car. This will be refunded after the car is registered at the final destination country.
- If the vehicle has been sold, then both the Seller and Buyer have to sign the back of the Title in the spaces outlined.
USA Customs Clearance
Ship Overseas, Inc. will be responsible for clearing US Customs for you. Most of the time, US Customs agents will simply look in the car’s window and clear the vehicle. Sometimes, they look inside your trunk.
Preparing Your Car for Shipment to Sweden
Here’s what you can do to prepare your car for shipment to Sweden.
- Disable the alarm for the truck drivers.
- Leave as little fuel in the tank as possible. Because your vehicle is being transported, not driven, you don’t have to fill up prior to loading. Also, having a full tank of gas makes your car heavier, which adds risk to the shipment.
- Remove any custom accessories so they don’t break off in transit due to their awkward size.
- Look for leaks in the undercarriage, as the car shipping company may refuse service if one is detected. Get it repaired prior to shipment.
- Lock the car – There’s no reason for your car to be opened until the time of delivery, once your vehicle is loaded onto the auto transport truck.
- Check tire pressure, as under-inflated or over-inflated tires can be very risky while in transport.
Who Can Pick Up The Vehicle in Sweden
You can appoint anyone you want to pick up the car at the port in Sweden. Just tell us of their name and contact info a few days prior to the sailing date so we can list them as the Receiver or Consignee. They must provide proof of identification with a picture ID in order to take possession of the car, as well as provide the Title of Ownership and a letter of permission. If you notify us of any changes after your cargo has been loaded on the vessel, you will be charged a fee by the shipping line.