Curious to learn more about shipping a car from the USA to the Netherlands? No problem. We make it easy with this handy in-depth guide, whereby we will cover:
Shipping Car from USA to Netherlands
Did you know Ship Overseas, Inc. has been shipping cars back and forth between the USA and the Netherlands for 40 years? That’s why you can rest easy knowing we will handle the process from start to finish. It may seem overwhelming at first, but we make it easy by answering all your questions regarding the shipping process to the Netherlands, from Pricing and Documents to Departure and Arrival Ports.
In order to ensure you get the most accurate pricing, we will need the Year/Make/Model of your car, Pickup Zip Code or Departure Port, and Destination Country (in this case the Netherlands).
When it comes to pick up, you can either pay us a bit extra to pick up your vehicle from your residence and bring it to the port or you can get it to the port yourself. When you receive a quote to ship your car to the Netherlands, an optional charge will be listed that will outline the price for picking up your car for you and transporting it to the shipping port. This option is easiest for you. Why? You don’t have to stress over the costs of gas and food, taking time off work, getting back home, and possibly spending a couple of nights in hotels. For just a couple hundred dollars extra, we would be happy to take the car to the nearest port in the Netherlands.
Departure Shipping Ports
The two departure shipping ports in the USA that ship to the Netherlands are located in Newark, NJ and Long Beach CA.
- Newark, NJ
- Long Beach, CA
Keep in mind, you can take the car to one of these ports or we can pick up your car for you at your doorstep and do it for you.
Arrival At Shipping Terminal in Netherlands
All shipping lines arrive in Rotterdam, Europe’s largest seaport and the world’s largest besides East Asia. It’s located near the city of Rotterdam and in the province of South Holland.
At the Rotterdam port, your designated person will pick up the car. Make sure they bring some cash to pay for Tax or Duty in person. See the section below for Vehicle Import Tax & Duty.
Ship Overseas will assign a broker for you, listed on the Doc Receipt.
Cost to Ship a Car to Netherlands
It’s important to be able to budget for shipping a car to the Netherlands. Knowing the price tag is key, which we can help you with.
Starting costs to ship a car to Netherlands is $1045 via container.
The cost to ship a car to the Netherlands will also depend on these factors.
- You will pay more if you want us to pick up your car at your house?
- Compact cars are more affordable to ship vs. large SUVs?
- You will save money if you personally drop off the car and meet us at the departure shipping port? (Just remember, you’ll have to make travel arrangements for getting back home).
- Shipping from the East Coast USA is cheaper than shipping from the West Coast?
Departure & Arrival Ports, Starting Costs, & How Long Shipping Takes
Please note that the Estimated Time in Transit only includes the time from when your car arrives at the shipping terminal – not including the transit time from when the trucker picks up your car. The time frame for shipping to the Netherlands will depend on when the shipping container is filled. It takes an average of two to three weeks to load. Once in the container, it takes 20-25 days transit from Newark, NJ, and from Long Beach, CA 5-6 weeks.
The base cost to ship a car from USA to the Netherlands is as follows:
- $1045 from Newark, NJ
- $1500 Long Beach, CA
The final price tag to you will depend on the year/make/model of your car, the departure shipping port, and if you hire us to pick up your car or you drive it there yourself.
Vehicle Import Tax & Duty & Destination Handling Charge
To ship a car from the USA to the Netherlands, it will cost you 20% Import Tax and 9% VAT (Value Added Tax). Get in touch with us so we can give you our Clearing Agent’s information. There is a destination handling charge of approximately $500.
If you are in USA, contact the Netherlands Embassy by phone if you need the latest information.
Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
4200 Linnean Ave NW
Washington, DC 20008
Please note, Ship Overseas does NOT collect the import duty. You will be responsible for paying this fee at the time the car is picked up.
We are not authorized shippers for the US military to the Netherlands.
POV Transfer Requirements for Military
- The car must have four wheels or more, with exceptions for mopeds and motorcycles.
- The car must be owned or being leased by a member of the military or a dependent
- The car must be self-propelled and legal on public highways
- If the car is leased, written consent for transport must be included from the third party
Travelers (Temporary Imports)
Leave a deposit for the temporary import upon arrival, due upfront. It will be refunded when you leave. Anyone traveling to the EU will be able to bring their car for up to six months, which qualifies as a temporary import.
As an EU citizen, if you have lived outside the EU for 6 months, you can bring your car back without the need to pay import fees
New/Used Car Purchase
If you have owned the car for less than 1 year and if the final destination is an EU member country, you will pay 20% Import Tax; 9% VAT (Value Added Tax). There are no limits on vehicle age and salvage titles are accepted.
Classic Car Purchase
Duty for importing classic cars is 7%; duty for all other car types is 20%.
If you are unable to arrange for pickup at the same time the car arrives at port, you will be charged storage fees at the Rotterdam port. Call us for up to date storage fee amounts.
Optional Marine Insurance
It’s a good idea to buy the optional marine insurance. We offer full coverage Marine Insurance against Loss or Damage. This covers you from the time your car is loaded onto the ship until you take possession. You will pay 1.75% of the value you want the car insured for. We recommend this option if you cannot afford out of pocket cash for repairs or losses. Rest easy knowing that we have never lost a vehicle unless in hurricane conditions, a rarity. Note, hurricane season is from June 1 to November 30. Check this out to learn more about Marine Insurance here.
Documents Required to Ship Car to Netherlands
Required documents include the Original Title and Valid Identification.
You must provide the original Certificate of Title of Ownership of the vehicle without a Lien recorded on the Title.
You need to provide the following documents:
- Copy of Passport
- Power of Attorney Form for international residents.
Vehicle Registration in Netherlands
Are you a tourist or temporary resident? You may drive with your American license plates in a foreign country until your registration expires for that year. Get your International Driver’s License from the AAA Automobile Association in your area. Your American Driver’s License will suffice throughout Europe.
- No Sales Tax is payable to the Seller; proof of export will be given to the Seller if requested.
- The existing Certificate of Title can be endorsed by the seller to the new owner if the vehicle is used or pre-owned.
- You may need a Bill of Sale or a Notarized Bill of Sale, depending on which Port the vehicle sails from.
- For new vehicles, you will need an original Certificate of Origin from the Dealership that sold you the vehicle so it can get through Customs Clearance.
Vehicle Registration For EU Citizens
Now that your car has passed Customs in the Netherlands, it now meets all safety standards. Take your car to the local DMV, bringing with you the following:
- Original license plates
- Netherlands Customs Clearance information
- Proof of residency
- Bill of Sale
From this point on, Ship Overseas Inc. does not provide any guidance for you.
Container Shipping to Netherlands
The only shipping type available to the Netherlands from the USA is shared container shipping from Newark, NJ and Long Beach CA. RoRo (Roll On Roll Off) shipping is not available here.
Payment Methods / Options
Payment is due at the departure shipping port.
Wire Transfer or Cashier’s Check
If you are located outside of the USA, this is the most common method of paying for your shipment. We will send you our bank information once your order has been placed.
Credit Card & Zelle
Paying with Zelle? You don’t have to pay service fees, as it’s a bank-to-bank transfer.
If you decide to pay with a credit card, a 3% service fee will be charged.
Canceling Your Order
If for some reason you need to cancel your order, email us as soon as possible. We will refund payment via the same method you chose initially, less a $300 cancellation fee.
- Make sure your car has no more than ¼ tank of gas. This is for safety reasons.
- The destination handling charge is approximately $500.
- If the final destination is an EU member country, you will pay 20% Import Tax; 9% VAT (Value Added Tax) if the car is owned for less than 1 year.
- If in transit through an EU country, leave a deposit of 30% of the value of the car. This is refunded after the car is registered at the final destination country.
- You must provide a clear Title of Ownership with no Liens on the Title.
- If the vehicle has been sold, both the Seller and Buyer have to sign the back of the Title in the spaces as outlined.
- If you bought the car new, your name must be listed as the registered owner on the front of the Title.
USA Customs Clearance
Ship Overseas, Inc. will clear US Customs for you. Shipping containers are inspected in batches. CBP may open the container and check the cars inside. Your car will be shipped inside a shared container. A shared container fits 4 cars.
Preparing Your Car for Shipment to Netherlands
Check out these helpful tips for prepping your car for shipment.
- Check for leaks in the undercarriage, as the car shipping company may refuse service if one is detected. Get it repaired beforehand.
- Check tire pressure. Did you know that under-inflated or over-inflated tires are just as risky in transport as they are on the road? The risk of damage to the tire during loading and unloading is elevated.
- Remove custom accessories so they don’t break off in transit due to their awkward size.
- Disable the alarm so truck drivers don’t have to worry about this disturbance.
- Because your vehicle is being transported, not driven, do not fill up on gas prior to loading. A full tank of gasoline makes your car heavier, which adds risk to the shipment. Please leave as little fuel in the tank as possible.
- Lock the car – Once your vehicle has been loaded onto the auto transport truck, there’s no reason for it to be opened until delivery.
Who Can Pick Up The Vehicle in Netherlands
Anyone you designate can pick up the vehicle at the destination port. They just have to bring a valid ID. Please alert us of their name and contact info a few days prior to the sailing date. This way, we can list them as the Receiver or Consignee in plenty of time. They will have to provide proof of identification with a picture ID, offering the Title of Ownership and a letter of permission to pick up the vehicle. You will be charged by the shipping line if you fail to notify us of any changes after your cargo has been loaded on the vessel.