Making the decision to ship your car overseas is the hard part. Ship Overseas handles all the little details that stress most people out. Part of that equation is figuring out how to get your car from your house to the port. This is where some time and research is needed on your part because the answer is all based on where you live currently. Our website lists the many available ports, which you can consult to find out if you live close enough to one to drive your car yourself. From Tacoma, WA on the west coast to Newark, NJ on the east coast, you’ll see we have a wide selection of ports to choose from, depending on the type of shipping option you choose. FYI, we offer both container shipping and RoRo shipping (roll on, roll off).

When it comes to delivery of your car, you have two options available to you. Live close enough to one of our ports? Well, you can drive your car there yourself in this case, and have a friend bring you home. If you do not live close enough to a designated port to be able to do this, you may think your only option is to drive the car to the port yourself, taking time off work and spending money on food, gas, lodging and airfare back. But this isn’t your only option. In fact, why deal with all those extra expenses – not to mention your time and sanity – when you can just hire us to handle it all?

Simply allow us to arrange for our transport trucking drivers to come to you. Our drivers will visit your home or another designated meeting spot, load up your car, strap it on the flatbed, and transport it to the port for you. There’s no need to leave your home, take time off work or coordinate a trip that requires an airplane ride back.

Most times, we can come right to your front door and pick up your car for you. However, in some circumstances where streets are narrow or congested with on-street parking, it becomes necessary to meet you in a central parking lot near your house instead. This gives our drivers more room to maneuver. In this case, you’ve only made a short trip from home and you can head right back there after we leave!

Whichever option you choose, just don’t make the mistake of hiring a tow truck to haul your car long distance. You’ll end up spending a fortune. At Ship Overseas, we do all this and more, for a fraction of that cost. That’s why it’s important to do your research beforehand and make sure you’re settling on the right decision for you. We make it easier with our online form that you can fill out for more information and pricing. If you’re not sure what to do, our professionals will help you decide on the most cost efficient way of shipping your car.


Leave a Reply

Important info to Ship a Car Overseas:
  • No car can leave USA if it has a lien on it. What does this mean? Your car must be paid in full. The only people who can ship a car overseas and still carry a lien on the car are US Military and Government employees/contractors. For those people a letter of authorization from the lender will need to be issued to pass US Customs. Otherwise the car may be considered stolen.
  • A clear Title of Ownership with no Liens on the Title.
  • If you bought a car new, then your name must be listed on the front of the Title as the registered owner.
  • If the vehicle has been sold, then both the Seller and Buyer have to sign the back of the Title in the spaces as detailed on the back of the Title.
  • For safety reasons, the vehicle cannot have more than a ¼ tank of gas.
Import Duty for Destination Country:
  • Import duty is NOT collected by Ship Overseas. It must be paid at the arrival port by whoever is picking up the car. We wrote a blog post about vehicle import duty here. It talks about how to find out import duty for your country.
Travel & Living Abroad:
  • Most countries will allow a traveler to temporarily import their car for up to 6 months. After the 6 months is up, import duty will be charged. For many travelers going to Europe and taking their car, a deposit is paid up front. When the car goes back to it's destination country, the deposit is refunded. If a person has lived in USA for 1 or more years, most countries will allow that person to bring their car back duty free! The car must not have any liens on it. Please check with your Customs Department first.
Send this to a friend