Oftentimes customers want us to charge them the duty fees for importing their car to their respective country. International car shipping companies do not provide this service. It is the responsibility of the owner to pay taxes once the car arrives to the destination country. One way to find out if the duty fees of a particular country is to call the Embassy in Washington, DC.

For Example:

A person wants to ship a car from the US to Germany. To get the import duty rates, they would contact the German Embassy located in Washington, DC or the closest one to them. In most cases all the person has to do is Google their country’s name followed by “Embassy Washington, DC” (without quotes). The 1st result in Google is http://www.germany.info.  Sometimes it is best to call the consulate.

While many international car shipping companies will have an approximation of these import duties, it is best to get concrete rates from the embassy because these rates often change. It is also important to know the duty rates will vary depending on the size of the vehicle. While you are on the phone, ask your embassy if there age any vehicle age restrictions. Many countries around the world have placed restrictions on their vehicle imports such as Australia whereby a person can only import a car 20-25 years or older.

Leave a Reply

Important info to Ship a Car Overseas:
  • No car can leave USA if it has a lien on it. What does this mean? Your car must be paid in full. The only people who can ship a car overseas and still carry a lien on the car are US Military and Government employees/contractors. For those people a letter of authorization from the lender will need to be issued to pass US Customs. Otherwise the car may be considered stolen.
  • A clear Title of Ownership with no Liens on the Title.
  • If you bought a car new, then your name must be listed on the front of the Title as the registered owner.
  • If the vehicle has been sold, then both the Seller and Buyer have to sign the back of the Title in the spaces as detailed on the back of the Title.
  • For safety reasons, the vehicle cannot have more than a ¼ tank of gas.
Import Duty for Destination Country:
  • Import duty is NOT collected by Ship Overseas. It must be paid at the arrival port by whoever is picking up the car. We wrote a blog post about vehicle import duty here. It talks about how to find out import duty for your country.
Travel & Living Abroad:
  • Most countries will allow a traveler to temporarily import their car for up to 6 months. After the 6 months is up, import duty will be charged. For many travelers going to Europe and taking their car, a deposit is paid up front. When the car goes back to it's destination country, the deposit is refunded. If a person has lived in USA for 1 or more years, most countries will allow that person to bring their car back duty free! The car must not have any liens on it. Please check with your Customs Department first.
Share via
Contact Us on Whatsapp
Have a Question? Ask via Whatsapp
Send this to a friend