Whether you’re moving overseas or you’re a classic car owner who just made an international sale, you need a reliable and affordable way to transport your vehicle. It’s doesn’t have to be an ordeal to ship a vehicle overseas. The first step is to partner with an auto transporter that specializes in international shipping. They are best equipped to help you navigate the process and ensure your car arrives safely at its destination.
How much does it cost?
The cost to ship a car internationally will depend on many factors, including the method of shipping and the distance your car will travel. The average cost for international shipping is between $1,000 and $5,000 for transport by sea. However, your final price can range from $750 for a small car by boat to $40,000 for an SUV via plane.
There are many additional factors that can affect international car shipping costs:
- Type of vehicle: The heavier and larger the vehicle, the more it will cost you to ship it.
- Distance to the port: If you live close to a major port city like San Francisco, New York, or Miami, the cost of shipping directly to the port will not be too much – perhaps between $100 and $300. However, if you reside in the middle of the country, the cost will go up quite a bit, so expect additional costs up to $1,000. In either case, either the overseas shipper or a local transporter will have to take the vehicle to the port for you if you can’t.
- Import taxes: When shipping cars to another country, you have to research the taxes that can be levied on you, which range from a small fee to more than the cost of shipping the car.
- Pickup location: If you can pick up the car at the port, this is your cheapest option. It will cost you more to have it dropped off right at your door. For a middle-of-the-road option, you can pick up your vehicle at a terminal.
- Travel route: Popular, common routes with frequent traffic will cost you less than remote routes. And it stands to reason, then, that the longer the journey, the higher the price.
- Expedited shipping: It usually takes between three and 12 weeks to ship a vehicle overseas. If you choose expedited shipping, this will be reduced to just a few weeks. However, if you take this speedier option, you will pay a lot more. Plan ahead so you can manage to survive without your vehicle for several weeks.
- Open or closed container: Your price will also depend on the type of container you choose, whether a shared container or an individual container. These are referred to as open and enclosed shipping. A shared container will cost less but will include other vehicles in the shipment. An individual container costs more (up to twice the cost of a shared container) but ensures your car is isolated from other vehicles. This is a good option if you have a classic, vintage or high-end vehicle.
Here’s a brief outline of what it may cost you to ship a car overseas.
|To United States||$1,000—$5,000|
|To West Africa||$1,500—$2,500|
Contact Ship Overseas
For accurate pricing more in line with your particular shipping request, get a free quote on overseas car shipping now.