Prior to making a decision on which shipping company you’ll go with, it’s vital that you do your homework. We can’t stress this enough, as not every international vehicle shipping company has your best interests at heart.
Look into price, experience, and years in business, and don’t forget to check those reviews. A smart and successful decision will depend on the outcome of your research. This is your car we’re talking about! You need to protect it and your sanity by choosing the right shipper in the first place.
Check out these tips:
1. Start with Research
The preliminary phase is research, just like you would do with any major purchase. Sadly, people put more thought into where they are going to eat for dinner than the overseas shipper they choose. A quick, ill-informed decision can cost you dearly later on.
- First, compile a list of international car shipping companies to consider.
- Next, check their ratings on sites like BBB.org, Federal Maritime Commission, review sites, and forums.
- Ask friends and family for references too. Which companies have they dealt with in the past and would they use them again?
- Examine each company’s credentials and certifications to find out if the company is licensed, insured and bonded.
- Ask each company if they use licensed and insured carriers/third party services. Ask for those companies’ names and research those too.
Reputable shippers will be straightforward in providing this information. If they aren’t, go somewhere else because they may be hiding something.
2. Take a Look at Cost
Knowing more about cost will all start with an online quote. This should be free. Use this free quote form to gain more insight into how to ship your car overseas as well, as quotes typically contain information on the port of departure/arrival, overall costs, documentation needed, etc.
Some companies will list generic rates online, usually highlighting ideal shipments (such as the smallest size vehicle to a popular destination at the best rate). Remember, rates tend to change frequently with increases in fuel costs and other surcharges, which is why so many online prices are simply not current. You always want a customized quote for more accuracy, so take the time to go through the motions.
3. Request and Compare Quotes
Now that you have a few quotes, set them up side by side to do some comparisons. Take a look at the dollar amount first, then read through each quote carefully. Don’t forget, there’s a lot more to the price quote than the ocean freight costs. Here are some key factors to keep an eye out for, all of which will directly affect final cost. You’ll want to clarify all of these factors before booking:
- Destination Fees: If you opt for door to port or port to port, this covers all export-related items, including U.S. customs clearance.
- Method used: Will you be shipping via RoRo or container, shared vs. exclusive?
- Inland transportation: Some companies quote with domestic transport included, while others only include ocean transport.
- Type of service: Decide whether you will pay for port to port, door to port, or door to door service.
Once you have done your homework, you will undoubtedly find that Ship Overseas is your best bet. We have the experience (more than 35 years) and the reputation (check out our reviews) to give you peace of mind, so fill out our form for a free quote NOW!!