Shipping a car to Puerto Rico from the US is an easy process. Since PR is a United States commonwealth, we gladly support transportation of vehicles without the exporting and importing procedures. We specialize in shipping cars overseas to foreign countries, but since PR is on the way to relative shipping ports, the process is simple. If the car you are looking to ship is located anywhere in the United States, we can help you move your car across country and have it shipped to PR. For instance, if your car is on the West Coast, we will arrange a transport truck to ship your car to the departure port. They will leave it at the shipping docks in either New Jersey or Florida. PLEASE click “Like”, “Tweet”, or “G+” if our website helped you in anyway. It lets us know we are providing you a good experience.
There are two ways to ship car to Puerto Rico:
1) Cargo Ship:
This is by far the most common and least expensive method of shipping cars to Puerto Rico. If you are shipping household items along with your car, they will be separated. No goods are allowed in the car. Here is more information when shipping a car to Puerto Rico using Cargo Ships (under limitations of shipping in containers).
|Arrival Port CONTAINER & RORO – Shipping Car to Puerto Rico|
|San Juan, PR|
|Departure Ports CONTAINER – Shipping Car to Puerto Rico from USA|
2) RoRo Ship:
When shipping a car to Puerto Rico, the RoRo shipping is also used. Your car must be able to roll up and down the runway without jump starting the car. No personal items can be inside the vehicle. The car will be blocked and braced to the deck of the ship to prevent slipping and sliding while out at sea.
It is recommended to purchase Marine Insurance on a car. Marine Insurance is available to protect against loss or damage if required.
|Departure Ports RORO – Shipping Car to Puerto Rico|
|Jacksonville, FL||Pennsauken, NJ|
Tax & Fee information needed for Puerto Rico arrival port
The import tax is payable upon arrival. Only the person designated on the Bill of Lading can pick up the car and must sign for it. You are given one week to pick up the vehicle; thereafter, storage fees will apply. It is your best interest to pick up the car as soon as possible to avoid these charges.
Shipping Car to Puerto Rico from US
1) You will need a legible copy of “Title of Ownership”, both front and back. We will need a copy of the senders drivers license because it will be required when the car is delivered to the San Juan, PR terminal.
2) Lien on the vehicle – If there is a lien (usually a loan) on the car, then a notarized copy of the Title & an Original Lien Authorization letter is required when the car is delivered to San Juan, PR terminal port. Also, if there is a lien, we will need a photo copy of the person’s drivers license.
3) When shipping a car to Puerto Rico, no items are permitted in the car. It must be able to be driven onto the ship.
4) Please contact Puerto Rican customs office to confirm if any applicable taxes are to be paid.
Puerto Rico Customs Office:
#1 La Puntilla Street, Room 214
San Juan, PR 00901
General Phone: (787) 729-6850
General Fax: (787) 729-6678
Operational Hours: 8:00 AM-4:30 PM (Eastern)
Shipping car from Puerto Rico to the US:
1. For car exporting, a $10 receipt is needed from your nearest Excise Tax Collection Office in Puerto Rico. This is also known as Colecturia. Main Offices • Puerto Nuevo 787-783-3010 • Isla Grande 787-721-1389 • Zona Libre 787-782-8925 • Base Muñiz 787-791-0525 Regional Offices • San Juan 787-723-5277 • Bayamón 787-785-2268 • Arecibo 787-279-2952 • Aguadilla 787-891-0752 • Mayaguez 787-834-0638 • Ponce 787-842-6261 • Caguas 787-743-2111 • Humacao 787-850-4088 • Carolina 787-276-5620
2. You will need a letter certifying the car has no tickets. This letter must be obtained from “Obras Publicas”. The letter will expire 5 days from date of issue.
3. The department of Agriculture in the United Stated requires you to get a receipt from a car wash or gas station for “motor & chassis” steam cleaning. This receipt will expire 2 days from the date of issue.
4. When the car is being dropped off at the terminal, a copy of both the title and registration will be needed.
5. All alarms should be disengaged (turned off). We assume no liability for electrical or mechanical problems.
6. Payment must be made by credit card, money order or cashier’s check before the vehicle sails. We can send an invoice through email.
7. Once the car is at the terminal, you have to go to the Stolen Vehicles Division at the Police Station. This is located at: Cerra Street 15th Parada Fernandez in Juncos. The phone number there is 787-725-1690. When you are there, you have to show them the $10 receipt from the Excise Tax Collections Office (from #1 above). You will also need to show them the certified letter from Obras Publicas and a copy of the title & registration of the car. While at the police station, they will make you fill out more paperwork, but not that much more. They just want to make sure you are not stealing the car.
8. It should take about 6 days for your car to get from PR to the Jacksonville, Florida terminal. It would be faster, but the ship has to stop at one or two ports after it leaves San Juan. If you need the car to go further, we can arrange a car transporter to deliver it anywhere in the US. It will come at an additional cost, but it should be less expensive than buying a one way airline ticket and paying all the gas, food and hotel.
9. A $6 terminal fee will be charged if your car is there for more than a week.
Why choose us over the competition?
We have a solid track record and are an Accredited Company registered with the Better Business Bureau. Click the BBB image to the left to validate our A+ Accreditation. When shipping a car, an owner should only work with a BBB Accredited business.
We are registered with the FMC (Federal Maritime Commission). Click the image to the left and Select “Organization Name” and type in “Ship Overseas”. Here is proof of our FMC Certification (also known as a NVOCC License). Never use an international car shipping company who cannot prove they are certified with the Federal Government.
If you found this information useful, PLEASE help us out by sharing our site using one of the social media buttons below.
We would greatly appreciate it!
now, Email Us or Call 1-858-547-0840 Mon-Fri 7:00AM-4:30PM PST. If after-hours, just leave a message.
If you have any questions regarding shipping a car to Puerto Rico, please feel free to ask below.