You got into your dream school. The only thing is, it’s half-way around the world. Depending on the location of your school, nearby necessities, and other factors, you may need a car to get around. Instead of worrying about what to do with your current car or how you will ever find a new car for your short stay overseas, you can choose instead to ship your car with you using Ship Overseas Inc. This company offers competitive car shipping options to the following Middle Eastern countries:

• United Arab Emirates (Jebel Ali and Abu Dhabi)
• Saudi Arabia (Dammam, Jeddah, and Riyadh)
• Jordan (Aqaba)
• Qatar (Hamad)
• Lebanon (Beirut)
• Kuwait (Kuwait City)
• Oman (Sohar)

Some countries may have shipping restrictions based on the age of the car and type of vehicle. For specific shipping and import restrictions by country, visit the page here.

Important info to Ship a Car Overseas:
  • No car can leave USA if it has a lien on it. What does this mean? Your car must be paid in full. The only people who can ship a car overseas and still carry a lien on the car are US Military and Government employees/contractors. For those people a letter of authorization from the lender will need to be issued to pass US Customs. Otherwise the car may be considered stolen.
  • A clear Title of Ownership with no Liens on the Title.
  • If you bought a car new, then your name must be listed on the front of the Title as the registered owner.
  • If the vehicle has been sold, then both the Seller and Buyer have to sign the back of the Title in the spaces as detailed on the back of the Title.
  • For safety reasons, the vehicle cannot have more than a ¼ tank of gas.
Import Duty for Destination Country:
  • Import duty is NOT collected by Ship Overseas. It must be paid at the arrival port by whoever is picking up the car. We wrote a blog post about vehicle import duty here. It talks about how to find out import duty for your country.
Travel & Living Abroad:
  • Most countries will allow a traveler to temporarily import their car for up to 6 months. After the 6 months is up, import duty will be charged. For many travelers going to Europe and taking their car, a deposit is paid up front. When the car goes back to it's destination country, the deposit is refunded. If a person has lived in USA for 1 or more years, most countries will allow that person to bring their car back duty free! The car must not have any liens on it. Please check with your Customs Department first.
Send this to a friend