For over 26 years, we specialize in shipping cars to UK from the USA and Canada. We are headquartered in the San Diego, California. This article will cover: Car shipping methods and their differences, Departure Ports in US, Arrival Ports in UK, Duty Tax. Have you ever wondered, “How much does it cost to ship a car to UK from USA?” Use our instant quote below to get an approximation. You can drive your car to one of the USA departure ports listed below or if you need assistance moving it across the country, we can easily arrange our truck driver to pick it up for you. Remember, if you are close to the departure shipping port, take the car yourself and save the money.
Important: Our competitors cannot compete with our pricing because of our relationship with the US Military. This allows anyone to take advantage of our low pricing on our shipping line which sails to UK, Germany & Belgium. Also, if you found our “Instant Quote” or anything on our website useful, PLEASE click “Like”, “Tweet”, or “G+”. It lets us know we are doing a good job!
Let’s first go over the car shipping methods and when they should be used.
RoRo (Roll on Roll off) Car Shipping Method:
When shipping a car to the UK, the RoRo method is the best if you are only shipping one car and nothing else. Your car must simply be able to drive up and down the ramp of the RoRo Ship (as illustrated above) without any mechanical help. Absolutely no items are allowed in the car except for the spare tire and jack. This is a requirement of all our shipping lines. Once your car is aboard the ship, it is blocked and braced to the ship’s deck to keep it from moving while in at sea. Marine Insurance is available if you wish to protect your car from loss or damage.
|Departure Ports for RoRo Shipping to UK|
|Tacoma, WA||Long Beach, CA||Galveston, TX||Brunswick, GA||Jacksonville, FL|
|Charleston, SC||Baltimore, MD||Newport News, VA||Portsmouth, VA||Newark, NJ|
|Arrival Ports for RoRo Shipping in UK|
|Liverpool (from Baltimore, MD & Newark, NJ)||Southampton (from Baltimore, MD & Newark, NJ)||Southampton (all other shipping lines)|
Container Car Shipping Method:
Use this method if you are shipping additional items besides your car. This is the shipping method of choice if you need to put items inside the car or move large household items. You will need an itemized list of the goods you are shipping along with the values. To the left is how your car would be shipped if you choose to ship a car by container. Both RoRo and Container shipping methods are fine ways to ship a car to the UK, but in the end it depends which is better for you. While cost is normally a factor, time is not as critical for some people. As you can see below, we have shipping ports all around the USA. To find out what the actual shipping costs are, fill out the FREE QUOTE form by clicking the “Get Rates” button.
|Departure Ports for FULL Container Shipping|
|Oakland, CA||Long Beach, CA||Houston, TX||Miami, FL|
|Savannah, GA||Charleston, SC||Newark, NJ|
|Departure Ports for SHARED Container Shipping|
|Long Beach, CA||Houston, TX||Miami, FL|
|Charleston, SC||Newark, NJ|
Arrival Ports for Container Ship in UK
|Felixstowe, UK||Thames Port, UK||Tilbury, UK|
Requirements: Shipping Car to UK
- An Original Clear Title of Ownership + Dock receipt is required.
- lf there is a Lien on the vehicle and the client is in the Military then an Original Notarized Lien Authorization letter + 3 Notarized Copies of the Title front and back or an Electronic Title with a copy of the military orders and Dock Receipt is required.
- For RoRo shipments the vehicle must be in good mechanical condition with NO items permitted in the vehicle.
Taxes and fees to Ship a Car to UK:
- Contact the British Embassy in the United States for the latest tax rates for importing a car. The British Embassy may guide you to the British Consular.
3100 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington DC 20008
Phone: (1) (202) 588 6500
- If you are in the UK import a car from the US, use this UK Trade Tariff Tool to find out the latest tariffs.
- For RoRo shipments off, loading fees of approximately 125 Pounds are payable on pick up of the vehicle.
- Import duties can vary for motor vehicles depending on their function and country of manufacture. Passenger vehicles have a different duty rate than commercial vehicles. VAT at 17.5 % is normally applied to many imported vehicles, based on the purchase price. Vehicles imported as part of change of residence can be imported without paying duty or VAT. Temporary imports can also be free from taxes for a period of 6 months. The importer must however, meet with required criteria. Vehicles have to be owned in USA for more than one year to avoid 17.5% VAT import charge.
- Returning UK citizens are exempt from customs duty & VAT if they can show proof of residence in a foreign country for more than one year.
- USA military personal must obtain special military tags (the ones on the lower drivers-side windshield) from the officer in charge of transport before picking up the vehicle which will exempt them from paying taxes.
|Clear Title||Pay Duty Tax||Destination Country||Duty Tax Information|
|Private Person||Yes||Yes||United Kingdom||(1) (202) 588 6500 Embassy
(1) (202) 588 7800 Consular
(1) (202) 588 7830 British Council
|US Military||No||No||UK or Any US Military Base||No Need to Call|
Why choose us over the competition?
We have a solid track record and are an Accredited Company registered with the Better Business Bureau. Click the BBB image to the left to validate our A+ Accreditation. When shipping a car, an owner should only work with a BBB Accredited business. We always help people import cars from US to UK.
We are registered with the FMC (Federal Maritime Commission). Click the image to the left and Select “Organization Name” and type in “Ship Overseas”. Here is proof of our FMC Certification (also known as a NVOCC License). Never use an international auto shipping company who cannot prove they are certified with the Federal Government.
If you found this information useful, PLEASE help us out by sharing our site using one of the social media buttons below.
We would greatly appreciate it!
now, Email Us or Call 1-858-547-0840 Mon-Fri 7:00AM-4:30PM PST. If after-hours, just leave a message.
If you have any questions regarding shipping a car to UK, please feel free to ask below.