Important: Our competitors cannot compete with our pricing because of our long-term and strong relationship with the US Military. This allows anyone to take advantage of our low pricing on our shipping lines which sail to UK. Also, if you found anything on our website useful, PLEASE click “Like”, “Tweet”, or “G+”. It lets us know we are doing a good job!
There are 2 main types of shipping we use when sending autos to UK. By default we will respond to your quote with the lowest pricing. Let’s first go over the car shipping methods and when they should be used.
RoRo (Roll on Roll off) Car Shipping to UK From USA:
When shipping a car to the UK, the RoRo method is the best if you are only shipping one car and nothing else. Your car must simply be able to drive up and down the ramp of the RoRo Ship (as illustrated above) without any mechanical help. Absolutely no items are allowed in the car except for the spare tire and jack. This is a requirement of all our shipping lines. Once your car is aboard the ship, it is blocked and braced to the ship’s deck to keep it from moving while at sea. Marine Insurance is available if you wish to protect your car from loss or damage.
|Departure Ports for RoRo Car Shipping to UK|
|Tacoma, WA||Long Beach, CA||Galveston, TX||Brunswick, GA||Jacksonville, FL|
|Charleston, SC||Baltimore, MD||Newport News, VA||Portsmouth, VA||Newark, NJ|
|Arrival Ports for RoRo Car Shipping in UK|
|Liverpool (from Baltimore, MD & Newark, NJ)||Southampton (from Baltimore, MD & Newark, NJ)||Southampton (all other shipping lines)|
Container Car Shipping to UK From USA:
Use the container shipping method if you are sending additional items inside your car (like boxes) or you are sending more than one car. If sending only 1, 2, or 3 cars, the container will be shared with a 4th car. Sometimes there is a delay using container shipping because the container shipping line destined to UK won’t ship a container that is partially filled. You may need to wait a week until the entire container is full. Both RoRo and Container shipping methods are safe ways to ship a car to the UK, but in the end it depends which is better for you. While cost is normally a factor, time is not as critical for some people. As you can see below, we have shipping ports all around the USA. To find out what the actual shipping costs are, fill out the FREE QUOTE form by clicking the “Get Rates” button.
|Departure Ports for FULL Container Car Shipping to UK|
|Oakland, CA||Long Beach, CA||Houston, TX||Miami, FL|
|Savannah, GA||Charleston, SC||Newark, NJ|
|Departure Ports for SHARED Container Car Shipping to UK|
|Long Beach, CA||Houston, TX||Miami, FL|
|Charleston, SC||Newark, NJ|
|Arrival Ports for Container Car Shipping in UK|
|Felixstowe, UK||Thames Port, UK||Tilbury, UK|
Requirements: Shipping Car to UK
- An Original Clear Title of Ownership + Dock receipt is required.
- lf there is a Lien on the vehicle and you are in the US military, then an Original Notarized Lien Authorization letter + 3 Notarized Copies of the Title’s front and back or an Electronic Title with a copy of your military orders and a Dock Receipt is required.
- For RoRo shipments the vehicle must be in good mechanical condition with NO items permitted in the vehicle.
Taxes and fees to Ship a Car to UK:
- Contact the British Embassy in the United States for the latest tax rates for importing a car. The British Embassy may guide you to the British Consular. The import duty depends on what type of vehicle you are transporting to UK.
3100 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington DC 20008
Phone: (1) (202) 588 6500
- If you are in the UK and need to import a car from USA, use this UK Trade Tariff Tool to find out the latest tariffs.
- For RoRo shipments, off loading fees of approximately 125 Pounds are payable on pick up of the vehicle.
- Import duties can vary for motor vehicles depending on their function and country of manufacture. Passenger vehicles have a different duty rate than commercial vehicles. VAT at 17.5 % is normally applied to many imported vehicles, based on the purchase price. Vehicles imported as part of change of residence can be imported without paying duty or VAT. Temporary imports can also be free from taxes for a period of up to 6 months. The importer must meet with required criteria. Vehicles have to be owned in USA for more than one year to avoid 17.5% VAT import charge.
- Returning UK citizens are exempt from customs duty & the 17.5% VAT if they can show proof of residence in a foreign country for more than one year.
- USA military personal must obtain special military tags (the ones on the lower drivers-side windshield) from the officer in charge of transport before picking up the vehicle which will exempt them from paying taxes.
|Clear Title||Pay Duty Tax||Destination Country||Duty Tax Information|
|Private Person||Yes||Yes||United Kingdom||(1) (202) 588 6500 Embassy
(1) (202) 588 7800 Consular
(1) (202) 588 7830 British Council
|US Military||No||No||UK or Any US Military Base||No Need to Call|
written by Drew on 12 Dec 2013
The quote was made promptly/accurately. All proceeded as the company said, and all services were rendered according to our agreement. I could have asked for more, really. Shopper Approved Review
written by Jakester on 22 Sep 2013
There was some confusion as to exactly which documents needed to be provided to whom at various parts of the transport of the bike, but overall everything went very smoothly.Shopper Approved Review
written by Peter on 13 Sep 2013
from the start to the end of transaction all contacts was fast and professional. My plan is to buy more cars from US by help from shipoverseas company. Shopper Approved Review
written by Edward on 09 Aug 2013
I’ve used Shipoverseas.com twice now and on both occasions they have been very professional and courteous. I would have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone
Shopper Approved Review
written by Jag570kho on 29 Jul 2013
Very professional. The only reason I made contact was my misunderstanding of the paperwork trail. This was cleared quickly and with only one phone call. Shopper Approved Review
Why choose us over the competition?
We have a solid track record and are an Accredited Company registered with the Better Business Bureau. Click the BBB image to the left to validate our A+ Accreditation. When shipping a car, an owner should only work with a BBB Accredited business. We always help people import cars from US to UK.
We are registered with the FMC (Federal Maritime Commission). Click the image to the left and Select “Organization Name” and type in “Ship Overseas”. Here is proof of our FMC Certification (also known as a NVOCC License). Never use an international auto shipping company who cannot prove they are certified with the Federal Government.
If you found this information useful, PLEASE help us out by sharing our site using one of the social media buttons below.
We would greatly appreciate it!
now, Email Us or Call 1-858-547-0840 Mon-Fri 7:00AM-4:30PM PST. If after-hours, just leave a message.
If you have any questions regarding shipping a car to UK, please feel free to ask below.